Monday, July 9, 2012

Homophone Pet Peeve

I was listening in on an "adult" conversation when I heard the homophone "principal/principle" being misused.  A man asked a question on which "principal/principle," he should use.  A couple other people asked him, "well, use it in a sentence and we will tell you which one to use."  The man said, "The main principal/principle I am trying to portray is..."  Both adults that answered him said p-r-i-n-c-i-p-a-l!  They said that the p-l-e one was the person in the school!  I was so shocked that I didn't even try to correct them.

For anyone that may be wondering, principal means the most important position in an organization, or the principal in a school.  Principle means a rule or law.  And you would think that at least one of these three adults would have known that!  Jeepers!

No comments:

Post a Comment